Ever since a UGA football tailgate last fall when the boyfriend’s mom made shrimp and grits, I’ve been dying to give them a go. I figured: you mix some shrimp, grits and cheese… can’t be too difficult. Right?
Good news: I was right! And as my mother would say, this recipe is “so easy.” But unlike my mother, I have an actual recipe written down for you.
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. chicken granules (or 2 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 1 1/3 cup quick grits
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 lb. shrimp, chopped (this can be the frozen cooked kind in a bag to make it easy)
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded (I used cheddar but you can use whatever you have)
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
- Spray a large pot with non-stick spray. Bring water to a rolling boil and add salt.
- Stir in grits slowly and add chicken granules. Bring to heavy boil for 3 minutes. (Warning: the grits will get bubbly and pop out and burn you, so keep it on medium heat and stir… and wear protective gear…)
- Add cream and boil again.
- Add shrimp and, you guessed it, boil again.
- Turn off heat, cover and set aside. When you’re ready to serve, reheat and stir in the cheeses.